1
1
BREAKING: President Cyril Ramaphosa used a nationally televised address on Monday evening to definitively reject any suggestion that he should step down, confirming he will contest the revived impeachment inquiry triggered by a recent Constitutional Court ruling.
“I will not resign,” Ramaphosa said, directly addressing mounting pressure from some political factions. He acknowledged that while there have been calls for him to leave office, there have also been voices urging him to stay.
The President also announced plans to take the independent panel’s Section 89 report under judicial review, describing it as legally deficient. “I have therefore decided to proceed to take the independent panel’s report on review on an expeditious basis,” he stated.
He clarified that this legal challenge is not meant to disrespect Parliament but to ensure that any findings guiding legislative proceedings are legally and factually sound.
The panel, chaired by former chief justice Sandile Ngcobo, previously concluded there is prima facie evidence that Ramaphosa may have committed serious misconduct and violated the Constitution in connection with the 2020 theft of foreign currency from his Phala Phala farm.
Ramaphosa was careful to note that the Constitutional Court itself made no judgment on his conduct. “The Constitutional Court made no finding on whether there was prima facie evidence of misconduct, nor if the alleged conduct, if established, justifies impeachment and the removal of the President,” he said.
Reiterating his long‑held denial, the President insisted: “I have not stolen public money, committed any crime nor violated my oath of office.” He pledged full cooperation with all future investigations and inquiries.
Arguing that resignation would be a mistake, Ramaphosa said: “To resign now would be to give in to those who seek to reverse the renewal of our society, the rebuilding of our institutions and the prosecution of corruption.”
The address followed an announcement by National Assembly Speaker Thoko Didiza that Parliament would proceed with the six‑step process to form an impeachment committee. Didiza confirmed that the independent panel’s report would be formally tabled and referred to that committee, complying with the Constitutional Court’s directive.
The court’s ruling on Friday—brought by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) and the African Transformation Movement (ATM)—found that Parliament’s 2022 vote to block the impeachment inquiry was inconsistent with the Constitution and invalid. Chief Justice Mandisa Maya also struck down Rule 129I of the National Assembly’s rules as unconstitutional.
ANC national chairperson Gwede Mantashe had earlier told broadcaster Newzroom Afrika that Ramaphosa remains “relaxed, calm and ready to go through a process,” adding that the President would “not take shortcuts that everybody expects of him, to just resign and walk away.”
The impeachment process is expected to unfold over several weeks or months. Ramaphosa indicated his determination to serve out his full term, stating: “Guided by the rule of law and the principle of accountability, I intend to fulfil and complete the mandate that you, the people, have given me.”
The EFF has mentioned in a press statement that this must not delay accountability.